In a 'Feynman Long Division Puzzle' each digit of a long division has been replaced by a dot or the letter A (which stands for a unique digit). None of the dots are the same as the A digit. The goal is to reconstruct the original figures (by any means necessary).

For more information visit the wikipedia article.

As an example, the original puzzle (first published in the May 1936 by W. F. Cheney, Jr):



has solution:



All care has been taken for these puzzles to be correct in the sense that they have a solution, that the solution is unique, and that the puzzle renders correctly. None of the above are however guaranteed.

I currently have no plans to publish official solutions.

You can read more about my history with these puzzles on my blog 'The Variable Man'

These puzzles are copyrighted. Please do not copy or publish without express permission.

Tuesday 25 November 2008

Feynman Long Division Puzzle 80

3 comments:

Tony D said...

Is there a bug in your program? This puzzle seems to be a bit mangled, as do some earlier ones (66, 58). Perhaps the formatting goes wrong when there's a zero in the answer, or something?

Miek Messerschmidt said...

That should work now.

Yes, there's a small bug in the rendering for some puzzles - When the right most digit in the top line is zero. I will get round to fixing it at some stage, but I probably won't get time until mid January.

BTW, Thanks for trying them! Hope you're having fun.

Tony D said...

Yes thanks, I enjoy giving my brain a work out now and then, although they don't always submit to my logic; I have written a brute force Excel/VBA solver for such cases!

But I'm still having problems with this one - the AoAoo-Aooo=Aoo bit doesn't work.